Hello, educator friends!
October is almost over but the clutter in our desks has just begun. A former boss used to tell me that a teacher’s desk reflects both the quantity of work one has to do and the attitude a teacher has towards that bulk of work. The truth is, the million things that are on our desk are the ones that are considered “extremely important.” And they are the ones that are usually part of the “clutter.”
I just think that the way I arrange my desk is perfectly typical. To my left side is a binder of my lesson plans, curriculum frameworks and class schedule. and beside it are piles of books that I currently use as sources or references. To my right side are a rack with folders, 3 pencil/pen containers, two tiny boxes of other stuff such as staple wires, push pins, paper clips, etc., a tape dispenser, a big stapler, a note pad, my phone and tablet, and a hand sanitizer. The center space is of course for my laptop. In other words, my desk can barely breathe at all. And wait, papers that need to be graded are also in front of me in full view. This is a teacher’s space. My private space. And here, I breathe and live my work, Sure, we can find inspiration in clutter. My daughter tells me that every time I nag about her room. But in order to keep our sanity intact until the end of the school year, we do need to organize some of that clutter on our desk. The solution: Organize it and accessorize it with little things that add color and fun to our desk. So here is a list of my top eight cute organizers that can keep the clutter away for $10 or less:
1. Post-it Pop-Up Green Apple Dispenser – available at Staples for only $5.67, it holds 3″ x 3″ Pop-Up Notes and already includes one pad (50 sheets) of Post-it® Pop-Up Notes. Having this on our desk makes writing notes or reminders to ourselves (which I often have to do), our colleagues, or students so convenient. This dispenser just looks perfect on a teacher’s desk!
2. SmartStand – currently on sale at Staples for $5.00, it is also available at Amazon for $9.99 in several fun colors and at Officemax for $7.00. I can use it either as a phone stand or a mobile stand, which I find very useful especially at times when I need to let a student use my school-issued iPad at my iPad Center. I do not have to worry about it being dropped or mishandled because the stand, with its silicone body provides just the right support. The design is stylish without being too girly, which means that it can appeal to just about anyone.
3. DOKUMENT Letter Tray – available exclusively at Ikea for $8.99, this letter tray has removable compartments and protective pads underneath and come in two colors, pink or silver. I love the fact that Ikea just seems to have everything I need even when it comes to school and office supplies. This trendy-looking letter tray would look really nice on anybody’s desk.
4. DOKUMENT Magazine File – another Ikea-exclusive that comes in set of 2 for $6.99, this magazine file is available in pink or silver color. As teachers, we have stacks of folders that we keep to organize our various documents. Having them on a magazine file placed on the side of our desk just makes it handy and keep these folders within our reach.
5. Semikolon Desktop Pencil Box– This four-compartment pencil box that comes in several colors is available at urbangirl.com for $8.99. The dividers let you organize your writing utensils in one compartment for each kind.
6. Scotch Magic Tape Shoe Dispenser – If you want a desk that reflects your personal, sassy style, then this two-tone stiletto shoe tape dispenser is for you. Available for $8.99 at urban girl.com, this elegant-looking dispenser already includes a 3/4″ x 350″ Scotch Magic Tape.
7. up&up Paperclip Organizer – Target offers this paperclip organizer in clear color with 266 clips for $10.00. With different compartments, you can place all your small stuff here within reach, like small binder clips and push pins.
8. deflect-o DEsk Cube – available at Walmart for $9.99, this desk cube has X dividers to place your highlighters or your markers in one place.
How you want your personal space in the classroom to look like is up to you. So go ahead, check out these organizers and accessories and decide which ones will be useful and perfect for your own teacher’s desk.
Happy long weekend, dear teachers!